March 16, 2011

15 week appointment

I had a wonderful appointment today. My BP was fine, the baby's heart rate was 141 and the best news, I don't have to go back for 4 weeks! be low-maintainence again!

The OB did say he wants me to have the Quad-screen test done at the beginning of 20wks and then a Level 2 ultrasound with the high-risk OB he works with. If the high-risk OB sees nothing to be concerned about, my OB says he is "good to go". I will also have my thyroid levels checked at 20 weeks again, but he said I do not have to retest my glucose again until 28 weeks. I like that news too.

I was confused as to why I needed a Level 2 u/s and that I "had" to have the Quad test run when I thought it was voluntary, but after the OB explained that since the baby is not genetically ours and we don't know the complete family history, he would feel best checking all that we could at the 20 week mark. It made sense then, but I tell you I have those "oh yeah" moments like today when the doctor told me his thoughts, where I remember that this tiny child growing inside of me is genetically not ours. This type of adoption is so different, but so amazing and I am blessed and honored to have been chosen to mother this little one who is thriving inside of my womb. Thank you God for this gift to our family.


  1. Isn't it weird that it's so easy to forget about the genetics? People have been looking at my ultrasounds and saying "oh that's definitely your nose!" and I just have to chuckle to myself. :)

  2. Praise God....wonderful news!!! We are so excited for you guys!!

  3. So glad everything looked good! Praise God!

  4. shannon, just remember that you don't *have* to do anything. it is your choice. we always opted out of the quad screen because there is such a high rate of false positives and there is no definitive answer other than an amnio. we had a marker for downs and cystic fibrosis on our routine scan with indi. they said we had about a 1 in 200 risk of having a child with these problems. they offered us an amnio but the risks of the amnio were 1 in 200 and they admitted it was kind of a wash. (i think the risks of the amnio were downgraded a couple of years ago). we decided to wait it out for the next scan at 28 weeks and all was fine - thankfully.

    just remember that it is up to YOU.

    not to meddle. :)



We love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment or ask a question.

Design by © Small Bird Studios