September 10, 2010

EA: Dead End-Detour-Road Block

As I was about to take my final Estrace for the day, I received a phone call from my RE telling me that she was very sorry, but after reviewing the paperwork sent from the lab for shipping coordination, she saw that the genetic parents were not tested for STDs. Our clinic will not accept embryos who do not have parents cleared for STDs.

I was in shock and hung up, but after speaking with my husband, who was so wonderful, he asked me to call back and ask a couple of questions. I left my RE a voice mail and we will await her return call. Next week was our mock transfer.

Rhea said on the phone that these are our children and we will pray through where God wants us to go to have our FET. In the meantime, I need to find out if I should stop Estrace or wean off it?

I loved our clinic, the staff, our embryologist, our RE. This is not where God wanted us though. He is sovereign and it is not time for our FET yet. We leave for a family vacation tomorrow for a week and I am going to focus on fun with our family and we will pray for our little ones and for discernment on our next steps.

**EDITED: I ran across this article from 7/2010 reporting on the NEDC. According to the article,  there have never been any STDs contracted through donated/adopted embryos.

**EDITED (again) - The embryos were conceived/frozen 3/1999 & 2/2000. The first adoptive family has one beautiful & healthy child from the 2/2000 group.


  1. I'm so sorry about the bump! I will be praying for God's guidance and discernment in your situation... hmmm.... Are you sure you want to stop or wean off Estrace before you hear back from your RE? If you've already decided to use a different RE, I think you can just stop the Estrace. I don't think there's any reason to wean off it. After our mock transfer was complete, I was instructed to just stop the Estrace altogether-- no weaning.

  2. No, I won't stop until I hear back from the clinic. My husband is going to petition for the RE to make an exception.I have been on it since Monday and wasn't sure how it would affect my cycle. If we had to go with someone else, I doubt we could get in next week for a mock transfer... We will wait and see as we pray for God's direction in all of this.

  3. Shannon-
    These test are FDA required:

    HIV 1 & 2
    Hepatitis B Surface Antigen
    Hepatitis B Core Antibody (IgG/IgM)
    Hepatitis C Antibody
    RPR (Syphillis)
    CMV IgG/IgM
    Gonorrhea/Chlamydia Culture
    Blood Typing
    Rh Factor

    The rule was made in 2005-I don't know if embies older than that are exempt or not, but it may be worth investigating as you may need to have them done regardless of which clinic you go to.

    Praying for you as you navigate the roadblocks, and that the GPs will be willing to complete the additional testing.

  4. I wouldn't wean off the estrace, either. You're on it for a long time, so I don't think a couple of days will make a difference, and they can adjust the other meds accordingly if they need to move your transfer date.

  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

  6. I am so sorry that you hit this bump in the road. It must be so frustrating!!! Praying that everything works out!! Please keep us updated.

  7. I'm so sorry to hear this news, Shannon. But, as you have already stated, God is sovereign over this. You will transfer those babies into your belly in His perfect time! Perhaps the genetic parents would be willing to have a STD test to satisfy your clinic's requirements?

    As for the Estrace, I would keep taking them until you hear back from your RE next week. After my mock transfer, the NEDC doctor put me on a progesterone tablet to offset the Estrace and force my cycle to begin. I would wait and hear what your doctor thinks is best.

  8. oh and one more thing. It will NOT be possible for one of the GPs to do the testing. We are going to call the clinic where the embryos are and visit with the doctor(s) there about what there thoughts are ont he matter.

  9. Agghh! So frustrating, but what gets me by in waiting is that God knows their birthdays. He has it all planned out. It's just our job to follow HIM! Praying for you all!

  10. Wow, not a good surprise! So sorry to hear about all this. I'm surprised the GPs weren't required to have the testing done before donating your embryos. Like everyone else has said though- God is in total control. You have a great attitude about it. Enjoy your vacation and know that we're all praying for you! Keep us posted!

  11. I'm sorry you're having to navigate through some twists and turns. I know it's frustrating and disappointing. But, as you know, you are not navigating alone! God is in control!!!

  12. Dear Shannon, What a set back! I know how disappointing this must be. We will pray that the Lord will keep things in order and according to his schedule not theirs. It sounds like a lot of your readers are giving you some very good advice too. Don't give up! (I feel like giving up myself with all this mess with my Dad's estate--so many set backs--so much weight of responsibility. Sometimes I think Wells Fargo is trying to force me to throw in the towel. Sigh..)

    Donna @ Comin'Home

    ps. Thanks for the sweet comments about Baby August and Lena

  13. Oh wow. I can't imagine the disappointment and discouragment. Wow. I'm so very sorry. I hope things work out so you can have an exception. I'm thinking and praying. (((HUGS)))

  14. You have been so faithful throughout the duration of your ENTIRE adoption experience-- and none of it has been easy. Praying for you that you get answers swiftly.
    Be blessed,

  15. wow, i have missed so much! will be waiting to hear all about how this progresses. what a rollercoaster!!!

  16. Well darn it! Your clinic should have had all that ironed out BEFORE even starting you on those dern meds but you are so right and faithful in saying that GOD IS IN CONTROL and your time will come when it is HIS TIME! HUGS as you wait!


We love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment or ask a question.

Design by © Small Bird Studios